Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Imageless Adventure


So last week I managed to miss recording TWO adventures. Not just miss uploading, but I didn’t even get pictures! Now, there is a very good explanation for this that you will find if you continue reading. Please forgive my negligence. I hope to have a good adventure – with pictures – for you this week.

Last week, I made sourdough bread. I have wanted to try doing this before, but haven’t ever gotten around to it. So the day I arrived back in Provo, I put my start together. It was pretty runny and weird looking, but my record with yeast meant that I was ecstatically proud of seeing it rise each day. I keep it in an old glass salsa jar, and those first few days were pretty fun.

Now, the day I planned on making my bread – Tuesday – I went out and looked at the recipe. Turned out I needed to turn the start into a sponge and let it sit all night. I have never had patience with this sort of thing, but I’m very obedient to recipes. So I made my sponge and put it on the fridge overnight.

Next morning I got up and began to knead in the other ingredients; mostly this consisted of flour. Three pounds of flour. That is about five cups. Ish.  I used my kitchen scale. After two more rises that day, I finally had my four large loaves in the oven. Within five minutes of closing the oven door, all my roommates walked by and told me how good it smelled. That did not help my patience.

When I pulled the bread out, it was delicious. However, slight burning, and the sheer amount of dough meant that it wasn’t pretty. Combine that with the fact that I was too focused on hoping it tasted good to think about my blog meant that I didn’t take any photos. I’ll get some when I make my next (half-size) batch and put those up for everyone to see.

My second adventure was boating. Now, I’ve been boating before, but not often. This alone would count as an adventure therefore, but I also learned something new: how to drive the boat! Scott borrowed his grandpa’s boat for the afternoon and invited a bunch of friends to come out. Unfortunately everyone except me dropped out. Scott and I convinced Sam to come with us, and we headed out to Utah Lake.

Once there, it was quickly established that I didn’t really want to tube, and they both did. Since we needed one flagger and one driver in the boat at all times, I requested permission to be the driver. Scott said that was fine and his uncle taught me how to work it. At first I was pretty cautious, but it wasn’t too long before I was doing my best to throw Scott or Sam off the tube.

My proudest moment was definitely when I had been towing Scott for a while and decided that he needed to come off. Four turns later he was in the water. This was especially impressive since he’d already proven quite capable of staying on even when the tube was nearly vertical in the wake.

No pictures exist of this adventure since the Narrows effectively drowned the only camera I am willing to take to water activities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment